Thursday, May 27, 2010

The graveyard book

Though I haven't posted regularly. Here goes another brief book review on The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.
taken from Wikipedia


The Graveyard Book is a great read (Though my subjectivity on the matter might be questioned as I rarely finish a book I don't enjoy-I'm looking at you Twilight-). The simple (yet Awesome) storytelling complements the complexity of the story and it keeps you interested as you meet the atypical dead characters in the graveyard. I read somewhere that the book is sorta an homage/tribute/his own version of the Jungle Book, but I haven't read that one yet. The illustrations are very good, relevant yet not too revealing (I'm a sucker for beggining-of-the-chapter illustrations here and there, much like the Harry Potter books).
I'm not going to summarize the plot, because I'm no good at doing that without giving spoilers away. If you are a softie like me, this book will leave you with a sense of familiarity that you feel like you know the characters very well, and as such it will affect your emotions as you finish the book and leave the characters behind.

This is my first Neil Gaiman book and certainly not the last.

Notes: The book's website has the author reading an excerpt of the book. Also, he is the one who reads his own audiobook? How awesome (genius/egocentric/cheap) is that?

I give the book 5/5 Coelacanths

Coelacanths are cool!

No comments: